Welcome back! We left off on the last installment with the framing complete. The brother headed out to work another job and left us to our own devices. Let’s see how many things we can mess up only to have the brother fix when he comes to check on us. Just kidding… we’re pretty handy, really, I promise!
The siding goes up, starting on the back side. We old-school hand nailed the siding. Nails were placed in the grooves of the siding to later be covered by furring strips.
Here a jigsaw was used to cut out the door and window openings.
Next, my brother came back to get us started on the rafters, and help hang the doors. The windows we tackled on our own. That was a whole ‘nother education. You can watch 100 shows (every single one makes it look easy) and read all you want about how to install them, but until you get to doing it yourself do you realize it ain’t so easy. The hubby and I tackled the large tilt out window first. That was mistake number one. Note to self: the window is over 60 years old; the frame wasn’t made like they are today; the window doesn’t open like a typical window; ummm… it’s a BIG window. Holy cow!! Just when we thought we had it all squared up, we’d attempt to open and close the window. We could open it – hooray! Closing it – not so much. With a shim shim here and a shim shim there, here a shim, there a shim, everywhere a shim shim. Old McNewbies had a problem… help us, help us nowwwww!
Fast foward two hours later…. DONE! I prayed to the window Gods (You’ll find we had a lot of Gods during this venture – the weather, window, and rafter Gods, for example.)…. “I know we’re newbies. But I’ve done my research. We’re re-using multiple materials to be kinder to the Earth. Can’t you cut us a break?” Low and behold, my prayers were answered! We zipped through the other three windows like we were window hanging pros! Yes!! Then, we measured, cut and finish nailed the furring strips over the siding grooves.
We decided to add the board and batten decorative touch to match the front of our house. The next image shows the board and batten done. That was no small feat!
Then, we caulked any gaps.
I took a break in the action to snap a shot of our cat (who thinks she’s a dog) making some waves. We often find her playing in the fountain. Sometimes wading, sometimes drinking, other times splashing around.
Next, the hubby and his dad put down the flooring, the re-use brick pavers/tiles.
The inside framing dividing the planting (hers) side from the storage (his) side was completed next along with the tongue & groove siding (for the ‘hers’ side).
This is the back side of the tongue and groove siding.
Next up, the priming and painting. We used a sprayer to make life easier and we used left over paint from the house painting project.
Last up for the major exterior projects was putting on the twinwall polycarbonate roof. It was a relatively easy system that went together with H channels, end caps, screws, and a ridge (top) cap. It was also the most expensive part of the project coming in at around $800 for a lifespan of 15-20 years. Living with our shed for almost a year, the roof was well worth the cost. It does what it says it’s supposed to do – keep the temp from fluxuating too much.
By the end of the July 4th week, we had the structure built, windows and doors in, and brick flooring down. The rest was accomplished over the next couple of weekends. Not bad for 10 days worth of work!
Tomorrow, my last installment on the shed, you’ll see the inside finishing touches.